Remote Sensing Application Centre
Agriculture & Soil Science
Today Madhya Pradesh is facing new challenges due to continued population growth pressure and stagnation in farm level productivity. The rapid and continuing increase in population implies a great demand for food.It is obvious economy of Madhya Pradesh is based on agriculture/agriculture industries. In the agriculture productivity state is too below to the national average therefore the planners must keep it on priority, so that the productivity can be achieved around national average.The techniques are needed that can facilitate the integration and utilization of inter disciplinary knowledge in solving agricultural problems at field, farm and regional scale and thus increase the efficiency in improving the production.
- To Study for retrieval and validation of biophysical parameters using satellite data for simulation model and ensemble of remote sensing based inputs to the model.
- To Study on sensor evaluation/ soil carbon pool and energy and mass exchange in vegetation.
- Development of RS techniques for pulsese in rabi and for soybean in kharif using multi-date AWiFS sensor/ RISAT data for Madhya Pradesh.
- Forecasting of Agriculture outputs through Satellite, Agrometeorology and Land based observations under R&D (FASAL – R&D)
- Soil Carbon pool Assessment in MP
- RISAT Data Utilization program (RISAT-UP) for soybean crop discrimination techniques development
- Land Degradation Mapping under SIS-DP Project (Space-based Information Support for Decentralized Planning of ISRO).
- District level preharvest Crop Acreage and Production forecasting estimates for wheat, cotton and mustard of MP. The forecast was useful for planning purpose (Price fixation/ storage/ import/ export etc) to the Govt. and other user agencies.
- Under Joint Experiment Program on Microwave the techniques developed for generation of soybean crop signature and biomass using Scan SAR Microwave data. The developed methodology will be used for the soybean crop acreage forecasting using microwave data which is not possible in the optical data due to cloud cover.
- Under Impact evaluation of watershed developmental activities Pre and post implementation status of developmental activities in terms of temporal change in land use/land cover classified images and NDVI images was evaluated for Panchayat and Rural development department, GOMP (RGMWM) & RSAC (MPCST).
- State level multi- forecast of Acreage and Production were given timely for National Wheat and National Rice Production Forecasting to Space Application centre, Ahmedabad for the submission to the Ministry of agriculture and cooperation Govt. of India.
- The Ministry of agriculture and cooperation Govt. of India has sanctioned FASAL (Forecasting Agricultural output using Space, Agro meteorology and Land based observations) project because of the success of CAPE. In the FASAL multi-forecast is being given for rice and wheat crops.
- The yield forecasting task for large area applications in crop forecasting is very tedious and complicated job. Under the crop growth monitoring system, crop simulation models like WOFOST had been calibrated for wheat crop using experimental data and data generated / collected from farmer’s field for large area application.