Remote Sensing Application Centre
Forestry & Environmental Science
The Remote Sensing Application Centre of the Council is aware of the vast potential of the natural resources of the state and eager to develop a scientific system of monitoring and management of its resources. The Centre has Eight major divisions. Forestry & Environment is one of them. This division is engaged in projects related to forestry & environmental sciences.
During the recent past tropical forests of different bio-geographic provinces of India have witnessed severe anthropogenic pressure due to grazing, tourism, wildlife pouching, forests cutting and exploitation of medicinal and other minor forest produce which has threatened the existence of key wildlife species and its habitat. In view of this, concerted efforts are needed to develop rapidly using high-resolution satellite data, ground surveys and GIS. This will provide framework to policy makers for protection and formulation of Biosphere Reserve/Wildlife management plan for, wildlife and its habitat.
Forests are ecological as well as socio-economic resources. These have to be managed judiciously not only for environmental protection but also for various products & industrial raw materials. The judicious use & management of forest resources need to be based on the mapping & inventory of the forestry and environment.
- To carry out R&D projects in the area of Industrial Impact, Biosphere reserve and Wild life habitat etc.
- To prepare thematic maps as per need of the users organization.
- To promote research activities in the field of remote sensing and related areas.
- Effect of MIC gas leakage on vegetation cover of Bhopal City surrounding.
- Impact of mining activities and super thermal power stations on environment.
- Impact of Industrialization and Urbanization on environment in Malwa Region
- Forest cover and land use mapping of proposed Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve.
- Forest cover and landuse mapping of proposed Amarkantak BiosphereReserve.
- Forest cover and land use mapping of proposed Kalibhit Biosphere Reserve.
- Forest cover and landuse mapping of proposed Abujmarh Biosphere Reserve.
- Remote Sensing Techniques for assessment of environment improvement
- arising out of biological reclamation and water storage in Korba coalfields.
- Remote sensing based monitoring of landuse/landcover status around Aditya Cement Factory, Chittorgarh District, Rajasthan
- Wildlife Habitat Mapping and Management of Palpur-Kuno area usingRemote Sensing and GIS technique
- Forest Resources Assessment of Raisen Forest Division.
- Wildlife Habitat Mapping and Management of Panna National Park Remote Sensing and GIS technique.
- Analysis of landuse/land cover changes in and around Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve using remote sensing & GIS technique.
- Assessment of Bhoj Wetland Project Implementation using Remote Sensing and GIS Technique.
- Forest cover and land use mapping of proposed Panaa National Park as potential Biosphere Reserve.
- Wildlife suitability analysis and modeling of Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve.
Preparation of Biodiversity Atlas of M P
- Exploitation, conservation and sustainable utilization of natural resources at local level and global level is the need of the Hour.
- India in general and Madhya Pradesh in particular still have rich biodiversity in spite of manifold increase in population pressure in our forest and wilderness areas.
- Biological diversity acts an important measure in any ecosystem that increase its ability to withstand stress, i.e impending climatic change. Thus there is urgent need to conserve gene pool in situ before it is lost forever, because a large percentage of biological wealth and its importance is still unknown to us.
- Therefore there is urgent need to prepare a biodiversity atlas of Madhya Pradesh, which will be available online on web page for access to every person concerned with Biodiversity and its conservation and utilization. A page containing biological diversity and its conservation excluding Microbial Biodiversity and Fauna upto Vertebrate (Taxa Level) will be placed in GIS Domain.
Application of Remote Sensing and GIS in Sericulture Development of MP
- Mapping and Identification of Potential Areas for Development of Sericulture (Silkworm Food Plants) on 1: 50,000 Scales.
- To carry out an appraisal survey to evaluate the progress of sericulture development (pre and post project) for a few selected areas from the four sericulture zones
- To develop and implement a network of Sericulture Information Linkage & Knowledge Systems (SILKS) in 50 sericulture intensive districts.
Microorganism: Let us observe & Learn , Orientation Workshop
- To organize two State Level Orientation Workshops on Microorganisms in M.P.
- To train up 50 Local Resource Persons of the State to organize local level training programmes for school children, teachers & science communicators of Madhya Pradesh.
The achievements of the division are as follows:
- R.S & GIS Applications in Mapping and Monitoring of – Biosphere Reserve, Wildlife Habitat, Forest Cover, and Environmental Impact related to forestry, mining, vegetation, encroachment, etc.
- Study of effect of Industrialization, Urbanization, Mining, Deforestation, Encroachment,
- Dam Construction and Thermal Power Plant on vegetation and environment.
- Documentation of Biodiversities of M.P.
- Environmental Education, Awareness, Planning and its conservation and management.